2nd Kastellorizo Puzzle Festival
The Kastellorizo Puzzle Festival that took place last September on the island, returns just as dynamically to give the opportunity to young and old to see and hear, but also to express themselves, to understand, to experiment, to create, to think and to live science as an exciting experience!
Last year’s festival ended with the assurance that this can and should become an institution that will bring the remote island from the edge of the European Union to the centre of international scientific interest, and that Kastellorizo can now be proud because from now on it will export culture.
By wanting this wish that was expressed to become a reality and with the conviction that the communication of science – beyond stereotypes – is always within the goals of a well-governed society, we decided to repeat the Kastellorizo PF on the island in September (22-25/9) but also to go a step further: to let the festival “travel off” with a first stop in Patras (Palaia Sfageia 21-23/10) and with the next one in Athens (Kapnergostasio 16-18/12). Both of these events will focus on puzzles.
In the last century, there are three kinds of events taking place in Kastellorizo:
- Happenings to restore traditions and customs through local and/or national celebrations.
- Scientific, cultural or sporting events, incorporating locals (rare).
- Events unconnected to traditions, integration of locals, or long-term assistance for the island, which usually occur during the high-peak summer months to benefit and promote foreign ideas and people.
The PF is a unique event based mainly on Kastellorizo and Kastellorizians, which introduces a new (fourth) category, where (finally) the emergence of new elements of culture and the export of traditions will be achieved, with an additional vision, to transform Kastellorizo into a global centre for the creation of quality and innovative puzzles.
And we believe that we will achieve it, because:
- It is addressed to students and adults, and aims at the technological upgrading and moral development of the mind of all attendees, so that the ease of understanding complex concepts / ideas, the critical ability to deal with vague arguments, and the creative thinking of constructing new inventions are applied in the real world with objectively optimal results.
- More than sixty recognized academics, scientists, educators and artists generously offer new knowledge through original experiential activities, attractive applications, impressive mechanisms and scientific events.
- The founder of the Megisti Puzzle Museum, Pantazis Houlis, holder of rare world-class know-how that covers all kinds of puzzles, and Eleni Grammatikopoulou, known for her long experience in the field of science communication with remarkable successes, within the 4-day events of the 2nd Kastellorizo Puzzle Festival will try to lead young and old, to the unique paths of science.
The organization is carried out by EN.I.G.MA (Union of Ideas, Puzzles, Mathematics), where the most important element of its action is the Megisti Puzzle Museum in collaboration with the Region of The South Aegean and the Municipality of Megisti. The Ministries of Development / General Secretariat for Research & Innovation, National Defence, Culture & Sports, Shipping & Island Policy placed it under their auspices.
And just as the new logo of the Puzzle Festival refers to an Unexplained Object (beyond the three dimensions), the Puzzle Festival itself is an event of inexplicable success. Or can it be explained? We leave that to you!
Welcome again the Kastellorizo Puzzle Festival, where we not just repeat events of the past, but we write history by exporting traditional, innovative, creative culture
- from Kastellorizians to Kastellorizo,
- from Kastellorizo to the rest of Greece,
- and from Greece all over the world!
Communication Sponsor: RSS24.NEWS
For more information about the 1st festival go to
At https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6xfAL034OyJQbW7Sqj0FZg/videos you can watch the videos of last year’s event.