Delhi Mundka fire: Flames erupted on 1st floor, people jumped out windows to escape | Timeline

Picsart 22 05 14 08 53 05 067

As many as 27 people were killed and 12 injured when a massive blaze ripped through a four-storey commercial building in the west Delhi locality of Mundka on Friday evening. As the flames closed in, desperate people jumped out of windows to save their lives, videos show.

Two people, both owners of the factory where the fire allegedly erupted, were arrested by the Delhi Police. The third owner is on the run. According to the Delhi Fire Service chief, the factory did not have the requisite clearances and was operating without a Fire NOC.

At present, 19 people are still missing. Efforts are on to locate them. Rescue personnel also found charred remains beneath the gutted ruins of the building. A team from the Forensic Science Laboratory, Delhi will conduct DNA testing to identify the deceased.

Here is a timeline of how the tragedy unfolded:

1 pm: Work was going on as usual. The building has several offices and factories. One of the tenant companies on the first floor was holding a special meeting.

4.30 pm: Smoke was seen coming out of the first floor of the building, there was screaming everywhere. A rescue call was made to the police and fire brigade. People in the building scrambled to escape.

4.40-45 pm: Some were already trapped by the swiftly spreading flames. Police and fire service reached the spot and began rescue and firefighting operations.

4.50 pm: To escape, people broke the windows and started jumping off the first and second floors of the building with the help of ropes. Many were rescued by the police with the help of local people.

5 pm: More and more fire tenders were rushed to the spot. People gathered to search for their friends and relatives.

6.20 pm: The body of a woman, about 45-years-old, was found. The task of extinguishing the blaze continued. Ambulances went back and forth rushing the injured to the local hospital.

10.50 pm: Fire was brought under control and cooling operations started.

Around this time, the fire brigade confirmed a total of 16 dead. Gradually the toll increased, after which the DCP said a total of 27 people died.

11.40 pm: Flames appeared on the first floor again and were put out.

Midnight: Search operation and cooling work went on in tandem.

2 am: Cooling work finally finished.

Read the full article at:

Leave a Comment